18 May 2012

Jubilee Meringue's



♬ Will Smith still on Spotify.

After the jammie dodger expedition, I still had 2 egg whites sitting solemnly in a bowl. 
I'm not one to waste anything. 
This called for the electric whisk, more sugar and a strong hand in case the whisk attachment got a life of it's own. Unfortunately it did, I hand whisked the rest and now I feel like I've got an extra bit of muscle on my right bicep. Next to skipping, I think whisking a meringue by hand should be on my workout regime.

Anyhow here is the recipe for 8 of the above beauties:

Ingredients:

2 medium egg whites at room temperature
175g caster sugar
Strawberries, sliced.
Honey in a squeezable bottle.

Method:

: Preheat oven to 120°c.

: Line a large baking tray with greaseproof paper.
: Whisk half of the sugar with the egg whites until stiff and glossy.
: Add the rest of the sugar and whisk until stiff. Try the bowl over the head technique!
: Pipe out 16 small meringue circles, making sure they are not too close.
: Bake for 10 minutes on the bottom shelf of your oven, then crank up the heat to 180°c for an 40mins - 1hour. 
: Once they look like a pale diluted coffee colour, tap one of the tops to see if it's hard.

: Take out, and they should easily come off the paper with a rock solid base.
: Use the honey bottle like glue and sandwich a slice of strawberry in between each meringue. Try not to use too much honey, this could get a bit sticky! I randomly did this because I possessed no cream, soft cheese and ran out of butter. Honestly they tasted great, and unfortunately I didn't Viddy this. Totally reached my daily limit with that app!

Have a great weekend.
x