23 October 2011

Spinach and Cheddar Muffins

Savoury over sweet? 

You decide....



After my pasta bake I kept the oven and my rock playlist on, and also checked out FreeSol's new video 'Role Model', this features Justin Timberlake and he is rapping. Am I out of the loop again or is this new territory for Justin? I had to listen to it about three times before I went back to rock.

Meanwhile I decided to stuff the the idea of a Sunday sweet cake and made savoury muffins.

I am a sweet over savoury lady but thought I would break out of my comfort baking zone. 

When would you eat a savoury muffin? 
Sweet bakes are known as a guilty pleasure but I think savoury recipes should get more attention.

Let me know what you think.

Recipe for 6 large muffins

Ingredients:

300g plain flour
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
20g  caster sugar
1 tsp nutmeg
180ml vegetable oil
Salt
2 tablespoons natural yoghurt
200g chopped fresh spinach
75g grated mild cheddar cheese (plus extra to put on top)
2 medium eggs
black pepper
50g butter

Method:


 Lightly grease a deep 6 hole muffin tray with butter, no need for cases.
Preheat oven 190°c

: Sieve the flour and bicarbonate of soda in a bowl and add sugar.
: Rub in the butter until it looks like fine breadcrumbs.
: Now add the wet ingredients (oil, eggs, yoghurt)
: Add the nutmeg, seasoning and stir well.
: Time for spinach and cheese to get involved.
: Fold in slowly so it still looks lumpy, this batter does not need to be mixed thoroughly.
: Spoon in the muffin tray, a generous amount these are BIG!
: Add a bit more cheese on top.
: This mixture can be divided into 12 so if that's the tray you have then that is not a problem!
: Bake for 25 minutes until slightly brown, they should NOT be hard on top. Aim for a fluffy and rough texture inside.


< Once done these can be eaten hot, and this could be the tricky part because it is not a muffin I would have with a cup of tea - you can serve these with crème fraîche, eat with soup, maybe a mid afternoon snack or try it in your lunchbox.



Next Time:
Caramelised red onion muffins sound nice...

Favourite Song with this recipe:

ê 'The Pretender' By The Foo Fighters