11 November 2011

Chocolate Mousse Cake with Chocolate Ganache



What I'm listening to right now:

'Demon Days' By The Gorillaz



A flourless chocolate cake, saying that puts a smile on my face.

Why?
I don't have to eat a flour filled loving carb* cake! However I did feel strange not adding flour in the mixture, it's something that I am used to doing. But this cake doesn't need to rise so no need to use it!

A generous slice of this was finished in what...2 minutes. Well I finished it in this time, me and dessert go so well together, especially if chocolate is involved. The recipe is from Green and Black's but I have adapted it to what I had at the time.

The power this cake holds is as dramatic as I am about to make out. If that makes sense!
With a mousse fudgey texture this cake tastes so good, you could have one of those moments when you close your eyes and you make the 'mmmm' sound. Be prepared to make heads turn, get men and women to run towards you and be crowned employee of the year. What a great cake to make for the boss! (you know I am right)

Want to see if I am being a bit of a drama queen?


Recipe for a 23cm, 8inch tart tin or cake tin with removable base.

Ingredients:

300g (10.5 oz) Organic chocolate, I chose two bars of milk and the other ginger (love mixing Green and Blacks) 
250g (10 oz) caster sugar
5 large eggs
150g unsalted butter (5.5 oz)
25g ground almonds (1 oz)

Chocolate Ganache:

300g Organic dark chocolate (10.5 oz)
284ml double cream (4.5 fl oz)

Method:

Preheat oven to 200°c, grease the tin and then dust it with a handful of ground almonds and shake this off.

: Boil a saucepan of water and attach a bowl over it. Add the butter and chocolate.
: Once this has started to melt add the sugar. In the book it says to add everything at once but the chocolate and butter takes time and if you add the sugar in as well it might burn!
: Once everything has melted take off the heat and fold in the ground almonds and eggs.
: When folding in use a large metal spoon and make big circular hand movements even cutting through the middle of the mixture
: Nice and thick? Perfect pour in the tin and bake for 40 minutes.



When I looked in my oven - I saw the cake was rising a bit, I got scared. How could I have messed this up?

No worries I waited until time was up and when I took it out of the oven it had gone down.



: To make ganache, boil cream then pour over chocolate and stir.


Once cake is cool and ganache is warm you can spread.

Keep in the fridge for a maximum of 3 days. If anyone can keep it in the fridge for this long please let me know.

Enjoy!

Favourite Song:

  
ê 'Dirty Harry' and 'Dare'.




*Carbohydrate