8 July 2011

Mushroom Risotto


Album 'Stripped' Christina Aguilera 2006

Not sure why Christina Aguilera popped in my head today, it was while I was cycling in the rain and my hood kept on coming off. Really annoying when that happens, so I ended up looking like E.T buttoning the hood securely around my neck! Maybe you saw me, someone did point and laugh...probably why 'beautiful' was on repeat most of the day.

Long day and first day as an intern for 'Eat Me' magazine which is really cool and aimed at all the foodies who like sexy food.
I've never worked in an office before and experienced the rush to buy something quick for lunch, and the stress of preparing dinner after 'a day at the office'.

So this is what it boils down to hey?

I did not give in and get a take away, chips (so tempted), or eat out. Do you think the chippies and kebab shops send the smell out the shop on purpose? You know like a bakery, anyway I think nose plugs are in order next week. It just lures me in, and then I swerve my bike towards them..my junk food urges are coming to the surface!

After work, went to yoga to top of my starvation and then cycled home and made this in 30 minutes.

Arborio risotto rice
Chestnut mushrooms
Vegetable stock cube mixed with 1 pint of boiling water in a jug
Fine beans chopped in half
Coriander
Parmigiano Reggiano
Butter (1 tsp)
2 shallots
1 garlic clove crushed and finely chopped

Fry the butter with sliced shallots and garlic in a large frying pan.

Now I'm going to be honest here...I just tipped in two handfuls of rice. I don't usually measure rice, especially for a small portion, as long as you keep on adding enough water it will cook!

Fry this for one minute then pour in a quarter of the stock water, and stir on a medium heat.

Keep on stirring, like you are massaging the rice in small circles.

After the third batch of water has been absorbed, add the mushrooms and fine beans

Grate some Parmigiano

Keep on going with the stock water until the rice is done.

Add more Parmigiano

Then some coriander or parsley

Stay near the pan and always keep on stirring, this is why a soundtrack would be useful in the background. It doesn't have to be Christina belting her heart out, but maybe a bit of dubstep to keep your arm active.

Enjoy with some crusty bread or just wolf it down saying 'mmmmm' (that was me)

This is also great sleepy food, so not advisable before a  long night of dubstep moves!


Mita Fact (don't say it 5 times at fast speed to me, my angry eyes will switch on)


Parmigiano or Parmesan?

From my wonderful google sources I have just found out that a cheese called Parmesan is essentially a cheese that imitates the recipe for Parmigiano-Reggiano, but is made outside of the approved Italian regions. This is to ensure the flavour and quality of Parmigiano which is made WITHIN the provinces of Parma and other specific regions of Bologna and Mantua.

I know, this blog is getting good :)


x