21 April 2012

Roasted Monkfish Wrapped in Bacon with Jalapeño Tartare Sauce



Listening to various tracks by Willy Moon.

This lunchtime I was watching Willy's video for 'yeah yeah', and I was mesmerised, he oozes so much confidence, got some random moves and my shoulders were moving to the beat without me knowing! After that, I peeked in my fridge and felt it looked a bit lifeless - bacon, lettuce, mayonnaise, jalapeños and capers. I envisioned a jalepeño tartare sauce but wanted to wrap the bacon around some fish.
Without thinking I grabbed £20, and cycled to Broadway market, went to Fin and Flounder and got myself a chunky piece of monkfish. Which didn't cost the full £20! Don't get me wrong this fish can be pricey but I deserved it after this week. I feel a bit sorry for monkfish, they swim with their mouths wide open and they aren't the most attractive fish in the sea. They are damn right delicious in this recipe!

Give it a whirl:

Recipe for 2 burgers:

Ingredients:

Olive bread or any bread/buns of your choice. I put a small lid on top of the bread and cut around it to make baps.
4 thick slices of unsmoked bacon, some fat removed.
2 medium fillets of monkfish.
1 sprig of rosemary leaves.
Black pepper
2 sprigs of lemon thyme leaves.
Fresh lemon
Romaine lettuce

Tartare it up:
3 tsp light mayonnaise
1 tsp capers
1 tsp jalapeños (about 6 sliced)
Half a tsp of wholegrain mustard
1tsp lemon juice
1 small onion chopped.

Serve with honey roasted parsnips and asparagus.

Method:

Preheat oven to 200°c.
: Prepare your chosen vegetables, if choosing potatoes, roast these first.
: Halfway through the roasting time of the veg, start on the fish.
: Flatten 2 slices of bacon on a chopping board, do this by using the flat side of a knife and pressing down firmly on the bacon.
: Rub the herbs and pepper on the bacon.



: Place one piece of monkfish in the middle, squeeze a generous amount of lemon ontop and wrap the bacon around it. Make sure you do this securely, seal the wrapping by tucking the ends of bacon underneath the fish. Repeat this step with the second one.


: Bake for 20 minutes on a lightly greased tray, when fish is releasing water and bacon is dark, then they are done. 
: Blend all the ingredients for the tartare sauce and refrigerate until ready to serve.

What I love about this recipe is that I didn't have to use salt. The bacon around the fish is salty enough, and the ingredients in the tartare are tasty just as they are!

DONE!

Favourite Song:

ê 'Yeah Yeah'