26 June 2011

The Godmother Part One


Album 'Speakerboxxx/The Love Below' Outkast 2003

It was 'ghettomusik' that randomly came to my mind this morning, what a great album to have on today. Also how cool is Andre 3000? Someone I definitely want at my BBQ!

To celebrate my godsons birthday there was a BBQ and I made a few special dishes...

Firstly the masala had to be prepared:



'two hand' ginger chunk (the ginger piece should have two sticks)
3 large chilli's with seeds
1 bulb of garlic
one tablespoon vegetable oil

blend until the smell makes your eyes water!
it should be a rough paste
store in a sealed container and refrigerate

This can be added to anything, I'm sure this line has been on the blog before! But this paste saves you chopping the three ingredients separately for a curry.

Use the masala in a week or freeze in ice cube trays.





For twenty chicken drumsticks:

1 tablespoon of the masala
2 tsp turmeric
2 tsp garam masala
2 tsp cumin powder
bit more vegetable oil

Marinade using your hands, stab the drumsticks to get the spices in.

Cover with foil

Refrigerate for a few hours.

As soon as I arrived at the party, Bob Marley was blasting in the kitchen and I suddenly felt relaxed and started moving while cooking...

Then started on the sweet potato curry (this recipe is with spinach on the blog)



Channa Masala feeds 20

fry tablespoon veg oil
add 1 tsp cumin seeds
1 large chopped onion
5 chopped medium fresh tomatoes
2 tsp turmeric
2 tsp garam masala
2 tsp chilli powder
2 tsp coriander powder

When it smells fragrant add 2 cans of drained chick peas

Keep on a low heat for 20 minutes, sprinkle coriander



Milk Chocolate Wholemeal Brownies

This recipe is also on the blog, but this time no nuts, too risky at a kids party.




As soon as they came out the oven, the smell had reached a few kids outside. In they ran admiring the chocolate blocks before them.

Most of the kids I know love chocolate, but adding whole meal flour to these brownies didn't make me feel that I was feeding them anything artificial.

At BBQ's the food, people and sun make it a day to remember.

Make most of the weather today and eat well wherever you are.


xxx

ps Andre if you ever read this could I borrow one of your hats?