15 September 2011

Mackerel and Red Chard


I wanted fish for lunch, because I heard a passing car blast 'The Salmon Dance' by The Chemical Brothers.  Normally my fish is partnered with spinach but this time I wanted to step out my comfort zone.


This was the first time I cooked chard and was gutted that the the red stalk had to go! It is very pretty but I have seen recipes online where the stalk is used in soups and stews, something worth trying soon.


It looks like the sandwich has a cheeky grin! Well that's what I see...


Anyway, here are all my favourite fishy songs that you could listen to while cooking your favourite fish dish.

Fishy Playlist:


'Under The Sea' By Samuel E. Wright
'The Salmon Dance' By The Chemical Brothers
'Have You Fed The Fish' By Badly Drawn Boy
'The Water' By Feist
'Swimsuits' By The Cool Kids and Mayer Hawthorne
'Seven Seas of Rhye' By Queen
'Sea Of Love' By Cat Power
'Golden Sea' By French Films
'The Sea' By Morcheeba


▶ Open Mackerel and Red Chard Sandwich 


Ingredients:


Red Chard
Gails rosemary and potatoe bread (SO TASTY)
Pack of hot smoked Mackerel fillets with crushed peppercorns 
Pine nuts 20g
Butter
Olive oil 1 tablespoon and extra for serving




Method:


Wash one chard leaf


Chop around the stalk, discard the stalk and roughly chop the leaves, not too finely.


Pan fry chard in olive oil with pine nuts for 2 minutes.


Slice chunky piece of bread


Butter bread


Place chard and pine nuts on top


Place one fillet of mackerel on top and drizzle more olive oil.


Done!




This sandwich worked out quite cheap because the chard and mackerel, can be used in other dishes in the next few days.


Next Time:
⤵ Smoked trout please!


Favourite Song:



ê 'The Salmon Dance' By The Chemical Brothers